I have more than 25 years of experience in IT law and privacy law. Since 1995 I have alternated between working as a lawyer, in-house counsel and as an academic. I advise (semi-)public organisations (including healthcare institutions, educational institutions and housing corporations) and companies, particularly on strategic issues and conduct complex contract negotiations in the field of IT and privacy.
Through these years of legal experience and knowledge of technology, I am able to find appropriate and practical solutions that connect both domains. Solutions should not always be sought in the legal domain, especially where complex technological issues are concerned.
- Legal supervision of several outsourcing/cloudsourcing projects for an insurer, including the outsourcing of the primary IT system to a cloud-based Digital Insurance Platform.
- Negotiations for IT supplier with European Commission (on behalf of various European Institutions) on transformation of ‘on premise software’ to IT supplier’s cloud solution.
- Supporting and advising on various vital IT projects for housing corporations and various healthcare institutions, including implementation of primary IT systems and complete outsourcing of IT.
- Various consultancy and compliance projects regarding the processing of personal data for educational organisations, care institutions and housing corporations.
“Tom de Wit is a pleasure to work with. He is easy to reach and a good sounding board.“(source: Legal 500, EMEA 2021)
“Tom de Wit is exceptionally good. He combines his superb skills and knowledge with his results-oriented and pragmatic approach. He is comfortable in his conversations and a calm person. A truly multidisciplinary approach is being used. He has a strong work ethic.” (Source: Legal 500, EMEA 2020)
Memberships & Other Functions
- Netherlands Association of Computer Laywers (VIRA)
- Privacy Lawyers Association (VPR-a)
- Association for Data Privacy Law (VPR)
- Netherlands Association for Information Technology and Law (NVvIR)
- Guest Lecturer Tilburg Institute for Law and Technology