Legal 500 EMEA 2023 – Ranked as Next Generation Partner with Information Technology industry focus
With over 20 years’ experience as a dedicated technology lawyer (‘advocaat’), I have extensive knowledge about complex IT, data and outsourcing projects.
My practice is ranging from
- dispute resolution including litigation and mediation (mainly ICT and data privacy related disputes),
- drafting and negotiating of (inter)national contracts (e.g. cloud sourcing and business process outsourcing), to
- advising on legal aspects of new developments (e.g. cyber security, digital health and artificial intelligence).
Together with the team I use my legal knowledge, experience and deep understanding of new technology to develop practical and innovative solutions for my clients.
“Very good listener, sparring partner and easily translates your needs to a product”, “adept at handling disputes and IT contracts, often with an international component”, “Widely experienced problem-solver” (source: Legal 500)
“De Jong has experience both in IT disputes and in transactional matters.” and “He combines deep legal knowledge, especially about IT-related topics, with the ability to understand the business of his clients.” (source: Chambers & Partners)
- Representing a multi-brand system integrator for the court of appeal in a dispute with one of its customers regarding the implementation of an ERP software application
- Assisting an online newsletter service provider with the transaction of its business to a global social network service provider, including vendor due diligence and contract drafting
- Representing a patient organization with the compliance of its online platform, including a high profile procedure for the court of appeal re its responsibilities as a platform
- Advising a business critical supplier for big pharma companies with its cloud strategy, drafting and reviewing of contract documentation and leading the multidisciplinary deal team
- Supporting a stock listed internet-based business with its privacy compliance program, including strategic advice and supporting its data breach incident response team
Memberships & Other Functions
- board member of the Netherlands Association for Information Technology and Law (NVvIR)
- editor for the Journal for Internet Law (Tijdschrift voor Internetrecht)
- postgraduate guest lecturer e.g. at the Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen (Grotius Privacyrecht)
- board member of Stichting Massaschade & Consument (collective action against TikTok Technology Limited and others)
- mediator at the Stichting Geschillenoplossing Automatisering (SGOA)
- member of various other professional associations including ITechLaw and the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Some Scientific Publications
- Kroniek uitoefening AVG-rechten door betrokkenen, together with Chris Erents, Niels Groenhart and Esmée Fonville in Privacy & Informatie (2023)
- De verzoekschriftprocedure ex art. 35 UAVG in het internettijdperk, een noodzakelijke rechtsingang voor de betrokkene?, together with Lisa Molenaars in Tijdschrift voor Internetrecht (2019)
- SAP v. Diageo: wat zijn de gevolgen voor de licentiepraktijk?, together with Kees Daniëls in Computerrecht (2018)
Education & Work Experience
I am a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E). I have a postgraduate degree in Information Technology Law (‘Grotius’). I studied both Information Technology Law and Criminal Law.
In 1999 I started as an IT counsel at Deloitte in Amsterdam. I specialized as a lawyer with AKD and Bird & Bird. I also worked as an in-house lawyer for Shell and DTG (European Directories).